Deliver Food on Your Bicycle: A Detailed Guide
I wrote a blog post describing 10 ways to use your bicycle for side hustles. The first side hustle was delivering food on your bicycle. I often see Jimmy Johns bicycle couriers deliver food here where I live but there are other ways to use this side hustle. Here is the link to the main article, Make Money with Bicycle Related Side Hustles.
Food delivery services like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub are all hiring new cyclists, and it's a great way to make some extra money on your own schedule. You can set your own hours and work as much or as little as you want. Plus, you'll get to explore your city and meet new people along the way.
To get started, you'll need to download the app for the delivery service you want to work for and sign up for an account. You can usually do this on their website or in the app store. Once you've created an account, you'll need to provide some basic information, such as your name, address, and Social Security number. You'll also need to have a valid driver's license and be at least 18 years old.
Once you're approved, you can start delivering food to customers in your area. You'll be able to see available deliveries on the app and choose the ones that you want to accept. You'll be paid per delivery, and the amount you earn will vary depending on the distance you travel and the size of the order.
To deliver food on your bicycle, you'll need the following equipment:
- A bicycle
- A helmet
- A bike lock
- Insulated bags
- A smartphone
- A charger for your smartphone
Tips for success
Here are a few tips for success when delivering food on your bicycle:
- Be reliable and on time. Customers are counting on you to deliver their food quickly and efficiently. Be sure to show up on time for your deliveries and communicate with customers if there are any delays.
- Be courteous and professional. Remember that you're representing the delivery service when you're making deliveries. Be polite to customers and follow all of the service's guidelines.
- Be safe. Riding a bicycle in traffic can be dangerous, so it's important to be safe and aware of your surroundings. Obey all traffic laws and wear a helmet.
- Use insulated bags. Insulated bags will help to keep food hot or cold until you deliver it to the customer.
- Have a backup plan. In case of a flat tire or other mechanical problem, it's a good idea to have a backup plan. This could involve having a friend or family member pick you up, or using a public transportation option.
The amount of money you can make delivering food on your bicycle will vary depending on a number of factors, such as your location, the delivery service you work for, and how much time you're willing to work. However, most cyclists report making between $15 and $25 per hour.
To make the most money, it's important to be efficient and to choose deliveries that are likely to be profitable. For example, you may want to prioritize deliveries that are close together and that are from restaurants that are known for their high-quality food. You may also want to work during peak hours, such as lunchtime and dinnertime.
Delivering food on your bicycle is a great way to make some extra money on your own schedule. It's also a great way to get some exercise and explore your city. If you're interested in giving it a try, be sure to sign up for an account with one of the major food delivery services.
- Learn your area. The better you know your area, the more efficient you can be with your deliveries. You'll be able to plan your routes more effectively and avoid traffic jams.
- Be organized. Have a system for keeping track of your deliveries and your earnings. This will help you to stay on track and to make the most of your time.
- Take breaks. It's important to take breaks when you're delivering food on your bicycle. This will help you to stay hydrated and to avoid fatigue.
- Have fun! Delivering food on your bicycle can be a great way to explore your city and to meet new people. Enjoy the experience and make the most of it.